The Tunnel Hotel, currently housing the Trial Inn, was built in the mid 1800's. The hotel was originally erected to provide lodging for the railroaders working on the rail line that was built to carry coal from George's Creek mining towns to Baltiomore, MD. Later the hotel earned a bawdy local reputation serving as overnight lodging for the C&P train crews at the turn of the century.
The building is constructed of locally fired brick used in the Federal style type of architecture. The porch of the second story circles the original structure. The wooded area behind the hotel was once a terraced vineyard, and built into the hill area were several cave type structures used for the storage of various types of alcoholic brews that were served in the tavern located in the hotel. One of these cavelike structures can be viewed at the rear of the building today. In the 1920's, during prohibition, a moonshine still was operated in the basement of the building. This area is now operating as a gift shop and the office for the Trail Inn.
Sold in 1898 by W.E. Hitchins for the sum of $1,250.00 to the Aspinal family, the structure was converted to a private residence. The building was bought, sold and remodeled many times in the ensuing years until it fell into a state of disrepair. The building was purchased and restored by William R. Davis in 1989. John & Beth Sayler then purchased the property in 1997. The nine additional buildings were added at that time and housed the cafe and several gift shops. The Tunnel Hotel is currently listed in the Maryland Historical Registry.
In 2006 & 2007 twelve rooms were converted to provide lodging for our guests, along with a campground and bathhouse. Please enjoy your stay and what is now called: The Trail Inn & Campground